Originally called Holford’s Prairie, the origins of Lewisville date back to the early 1840s. The arrival of the town’s first railroad in 1881 engendered its initial growth, and the expansion of the area’s transportation infrastructure spurred further development in the early part of the 20th century. Lewisville incorporated in 1925, and when construction of Lewisville Lake was completed in the 1950s, the city began to expand rapidly.
Lewisville’s consistently warm climate and proximity to Lewisville Lake has made it a recreational hub of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. The city’s municipal government, led by a nonpartisan city council, focuses its recreational and cultural investments on facilities such as Toyota of Lewisville Park and the MCL Grand Theater. The diversity of its population and industry has created a stable economic climate. Lewisville Independent School District provides most of the area’s public education programs.